Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default antennae ladder line formulae that I really need help with. THANK YOU.

"Leon Fisk" wrote in message
On Sat, 26 Sep 2009 01:18:19 +0100, Mark Rand
wrote:

On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 13:22:16 -0700 (PDT), Tim Shoppa
wrote:

On Sep 23, 11:03 pm, "justme" wrote:
I GET DIFFERENT RESULTS WHEN COMPARING TO A GRAPH.

The exact impedance of ladder line is rarely critical; because of its
intrinsic low loss even large impedance mismatches are unimportant.

Tim N3QE

VSWR isn't important anymore??

Obviously not, just look at cell phones. The VSWR has to
really suck on them with all the crazy positions/places
people try using them. Solution, add more towers so people
don't notice it.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

What Justme said has been common knowledge to ham radio operators for more
than half a century. SWR doesn't matter much with ladder line, partly
because of its low loss and partly because most of the antennas it's usually
feeding are no great shakes themselves, and radiation from the transmission
line is tolerable. I switched from a balun-type coax-fed dipole to a
ladder-line-fed folded dipole once, both of them in the exact same position,
and I got much better reports on the one fed with (300 ohm) ladder line. And
I'm sure that the SWR on that line was out of whack.

As for the characteristics of microwave-frequency cell phones, I wouldn't
jump to conclusions about them. They may be so broadly tuned that SWR
doesn't change much. And things that happen up at those frequencies can be
hard to relate to what most of us know about antennas and transmission
lines. 'Dunno, I've never looked into what happens at the gigahertz realm.

--
Ed Huntress
KC2NZT