Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
SteveB[_9_] SteveB[_9_] is offline

Default Vise grips tools

"William Wixon" wrote in message

"Don Foreman" wrote in message
On Fri, 25 Sep 2009 14:48:33 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

"Paul Hovnanian P.E." wrote in message
omediainc...
Ed Huntress wrote:

[snip]

Here's something that seems to surprise everyone: US manufacturing
output
lies between 2.2 and 2.5 times that of China.

We just see a lot of Chinese goods because they cater to the low
price/low
cost end of the market. The US excels at building the sorts of things
that
Caterpillar and Boeing make. But not things like vice grips.

Very true. Actually, the US excels at making vise grips, too, but not at
competitive price.

Bingo. Genuine vise-grips by Petersen Mfg really do work
significantly better than any Chinese knockoffs I've found, so I'm
willing to pay more for them. I'm apparently in a lonely minority with
that opinion, but I probably have enough of them to outlast me.

i recently bought 4 of those pincer kind of vice grips, i bit the bullet
and "bought american". vice grip brand. it "hurt" but i share your
opinion, they work better.

b.w.

I bought about three dozen various ones on ebay for half or less than
retail.

Steve