Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.media.tv.misc,uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
J. P. Gilliver (John) J. P. Gilliver (John) is offline

Default Switch off at the socket?

In message , Richard Tobin
writes:
In article ,
J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:

(Remember, of course, that all elements are radioactive, and have a half
life. It's just that most have such long half lives that we don't
normally _consider_ them radioactive.)

Really? Do you have a reference for that?

That is, for there being no completely stable isotopes?

-- Richard

Hmm, I thought I had, but on further investigation, it seems I'm
probably wrong - though I would argue that "stable" is not the same as
"has never been seen to decay".

A couple of interesting sites - where I find iron has either 8 or 28
isotopes, 4 declared "stable" and the 4 having half-lives ranging from
8.2h to 3x10^5 yrs - a

http://www.periodictable.com/
(http://www.periodictable.com/Elements/026/data.html)

and

http://www.rsc.org/chemsoc/visualele...rtable_fla.htm
(http://www.rsc.org/chemsoc/visualele...iron_data.html)
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/1985 MB++G.5AL-IS-P--Ch++(p)Ar@T0H+Sh0!:`)DNAf
** http://www.soft255.demon.co.uk/G6JPG-PC/JPGminPC.htm for ludicrously

"Forget computers; it's hard enough getting humans to pass the Turing test."
- David Bedno