Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.broadcast
J. P. Gilliver (John) J. P. Gilliver (John) is offline

Default Switch off at the socket?

In message , Zero Tolerance
writes:
On Wed, 23 Sep 2009 09:54:00 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

All the bulbs, any type, that I've looked at on the shelves recently
have the lumens output on the packaging or the bulb itself. It's
never in the marketing hype labeling but tucked away somewhere in
small type. Sometimes on one of the flaps on the bottom of the box.

Yup. Just picked up two and the info is right there on the top of the
box.

Osram 15w (75w equiv) - 900 lumens
Philips 20w (100w equiv) - 1200 lumens

Bloggs 60W (60W equivalent - i. e. a filament bulb) - ? lumens?

And it should be the biggest figure on the side of the box. The sooner
we get people thinking about a 1000 lumen bulb, rather than a 100 watt
one, the better, but I don't see it happening soon, since we've been
used to thinking about the latter for some time (and the media, in
particular, are always slow to adopt such changes - compare for example
how they report hot weather).

Now, yes, doubtless someone will come along and start screaming that
1200 lumens is not "equivalent" to a 100 watt bulb at all, and that
it's all a brainwashing conspiracy by "The Greenies". That aside, if
it means I use a "60w equivalent" CFL instead of a 40 watt bulb,
that's fine. The CFL still lasts longer, uses one quarter of the
electricity of the bulb, and doesn't waste my money heating the
spiders on my ceiling.

I still want to have the option of buying a 2000 lumen one - 30W maybe?
- but again, I don't expect to be offered this option. (In standard
fitting, in standard shops.)
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/1985 MB++G.5AL-IS-P--Ch++(p)Ar@T0H+Sh0!:`)DNAf
** http://www.soft255.demon.co.uk/G6JPG-PC/JPGminPC.htm for ludicrously

"Forget computers; it's hard enough getting humans to pass the Turing test."
- David Bedno