Posted to alt.home.repair
George George is offline

Default Telephone Service

stan wrote:
On Sep 26, 1:08 am, mm wrote:
On Fri, 25 Sep 2009 18:26:32 -0400, Don Wiss
wrote:

On Fri, 25 Sep 2009 14:34:21 -0700, "Walter R." wrote:
After reading the responses so far, I have decided to pay my 25 bucks and
keep my landline. At least I know that I have highly reliable service, when
I need it.
And it will work during power outages.

Exactly. And all the 'services' that telephone users used to take for
granted, such as being listed in a telephone book/directory, service
during power failures, free maintenance calls, free wiring in your
home, direct 911, 611 and 411 lines to Emergency, Repair, and
Directory back in the bad old non-competition days are gone.

They aren't gone anywhere. If you want or need that level of service you
can pay your regular area telco.

These days your are on your own in a sort of 'Batteries not included'
way. Hook it up and fix it yourself!
Fortunately the basic networks and telephone numbering plan areas are
still there, like a road sytem; even though the type of vehicles (And
maybe the type of fuel that powers them! is changing! .
Ain't competition wonderful?.
Insert the usual wisecrack about people who have landlines but nothing
but cordless phones.