Posted to sci.electronics.repair
N_Cook N_Cook is offline

Default Rolling your own soldering tip

Dave Plowman (News) wrote in message
In article ,
N_Cook wrote:
Nice to see another Antex fan. Still my favourite iron. Bought my

first
one near 50 years ago - a delight after my Henley Solon.

Antex? do they still use mains powered heaters?

They do a variety of mains and low voltage.

I gave up with them when CMOS LSI first came in and mains leakage
current/voltage destroyed a couple of expensive ICs while I was

soldering
them. There I was using proper grounded disipative wrist strap and all.

That's strange since they made a point about their low leakage. And the
tip is earthed on a mains one. Perhaps the earth you were using was
floating well above ground?

--
*To be intoxicated is to feel sophisticated, but not be able to say it.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

It was a long time ago, I've always used 24V Weller Magnastat since.
ISTR the Antex tip fitted over a ceramic shaft containing the mains carrying
heater. No observable leakage when cold but at operating temperature it
leaked like a sieve. One dramatic confiemation test of it, in a totally dark
room, you could sometimes see a discharge arc to a grounded metal plate held
very close to the tip.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England