Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Rolling your own soldering tip

In article ,
Arfa Daily wrote:
As one long term Antex user (my first little CN15 was about 40 years ago
I reckon) to another, do I recall their bits having a very shiny chrome
or nickel chrome plating some years back ?

Yes.

I clearly remember the original bits
being solid unplated copper.

Ah - not so my first one. You must have started earlier than me. Shouldn't
you be relaxing in an arm chair with pipe and slippers by now? ;-)

How did they last so long without any protective plating for that soft
copper ? I know we used to get every last bit of life out of them by
filing them until they were just a stump, but never-the-less, they
*were* intrinsically long-lived ...

'Savebit' solder? Or perhaps the copper was an alloy.

--
*Frankly, scallop, I don't give a clam

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.