Posted to uk.d-i-y
Davey Davey is offline

Default Hypothetical Q - reconnecting to balanced flue

Terry Fields wrote:

The question concerns the fire in the lounge - it currently has an
electric 'contemporary' fire, but goes on to say 'Gas point and
balanced flue still installed if needed'. I like the idea of a 'living
flame' gas fire rather than an electric one, but would it be
acceptable, and possible, to fit such a fire using the balanced flue,
or would some new BR or Elfin Safety intrude here at great expense?

There could be another reason why they took the gas fire out. I know we
replaced our gas fire with an electric one as it was the only way we could
finally sort the problem of a freezing cold draught coming into the living
room via the chimney flue. I have known of people suffering cold draught
problems with balanced flue gas fires also.

Also, although electric fires cost more to run, they are 100% efficient,
whereas gas fires are nowhere near that. We only use ours a handul of times
each year, so the cost of running is negligible.