Posted to uk.d-i-y
Timothy Murphy[_2_] Timothy Murphy[_2_] is offline

Default Washing machine problem

Invisible Man wrote:

My neighbour's Hotpoint washing machine spinner
only works intermittently.
It isn't working, and then when she tries 20 minutes later
it works fine.
I looked at the belt, and that looked OK.

Any idea what is likely to be the problem?

Sounds like a sensor or cut-out problem.
Something overheating?
Water level too high because of partially blocked outlet, filter or pump?
Built in time delay for safety reasons?

Does the machine make any noise when the spin is activated but does not
work?

Thanks for your response.
Yes, I think there is a noise when the spin is activated,
as though the motor is trying to turn, but cannot.

I tried spinning by hand, and the bearings didn't seem too bad.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net