Posted to alt.home.repair
fftt fftt is offline

Default Finish Wood Floors

On Sep 25, 12:14*pm, ftres wrote:
We have carpet that we want to rip up. *We want to have the floors
sanded and finished.
It's strip floorimg - about 45 years old and seems to be in good
condition judging from the
corners of the carpet I lifted up.

It's about 800 square feet to be done. *I've had a few people in to
give estimates.

Person 1 wants to put down an alcohol-based sealer and then 2 coats of
oil based polyurethane.
He'll put a third coat of poly if I want him to (another 30 cents per
SF) but says it's not necessary.

Person 2 wants to put down three coats of oil-based poly and doesn't
use a sealer. *He says he used to use it
and stopped because's he's learned over the years that the problem
with a sealer is that over time, it dries up and crystallizes and
causes the polyurethane to flake off the floor.

Both people came highly recommended and both do nice work. *Prices are
very similar so there's not much differene there.

Which method is better? *Which is more durable? *Does anyone have
experience with the sealer after say 10 to 15 years? *Does it really
flake? *Also, is 2 coats of poly over a sealer as good as three coats
of poly with no sealer?

If it makes a difference, I'm on Long Island (NY) about 3 miles from
the Atlantic Ocean.

Thanks!

do oyu know the specific products proposed to be used?

does the first guy have any local customers with 15+ years old jobs?

cheers
Bob