Posted to alt.home.repair
Walter R.[_2_] Walter R.[_2_] is offline

Default Telephone Service

After reading the responses so far, I have decided to pay my 25 bucks and
keep my landline. At least I know that I have highly reliable service, when
I need it.

I also have a tracfone (cheap cellphone) which I keep in the car for
emergencies.

For long distance calls I use ECG which is a LD service that costs only
pennies per call, instead of ATT LD, which costs plenty dollares per call.

Thank you for replying

--
Walter
www.rationality.net
"Walter R." wrote in message
My telephone charges creep upwards, almost every month, mostly due to
increased government mandated charges. I pay AT&T now $ 26 a month for
what is essentially local service. Long Distance is on a separate bill
from ECG.

What are the alternatives to increasingly expensive land-lines? We live in
a low area and have poor cellphone connections. What is this Magic Jack
thing? Does it work? What are the drawbacks?

What is VOIP? Just heard about it? Is this another valid alternative.

Thanks for any input.

--
Walter
www.rationality.net