Posted to alt.home.repair
Mike Paulsen Mike Paulsen is offline

Default Extension ladder reach

Jules wrote:
On Fri, 25 Sep 2009 08:08:24 -0700, Bob F wrote:
Aluminum is fine. What you don't want is a cheap aluminum ladder. The
heavier ones (Type 1A?) are plenty strong and stiff.

I find my 24' one bounces a lot - but at the same time it feels strong; I
don't feel like it's about to snap in two or anything (and of course
when fully extended it's only significantly flexible in the middle - so
it's only an issue when going up or down, not when working at the top).

The pain in the butt isn't the weight, or carrying it, but getting it
from a horizontal to vertical position; I never have quite figured out
what the 'trick' is there (it likes to lift off the ground as I'm
hauling it upright, and the last thing I want is a ladder on top of my
head :-)

Keep the feet of the ladder right up against the wall until it's
vertical, then move the feet out.

You could also lay a tube of sand or other weight over the lowest rung.