Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom[_28_] Tom[_28_] is offline

Default Harbor Freight vs. Home depot

HF uses plastic gears and will not hold up. I bought the 18v kit from
Sears Crapsman. It came with circular saw, light and drill all on sale
for $60. It would drill maybe 6 screws before battery was history.
Charger took forever and the RPM was much too slow for any quick work.
I won't make that mistake again. Ask yourself this question, after 6
screws are in and the battery is history "what should I have expected
for $15 ?" Sure you have another battery but they take too long to
charge and the hotter the battery is when you return it to charger the
less efficent the recharge will be.
Dewalt makes tools for HD. You can tell the difference between "HD
special" and regular dewalt tools. The HD special Dewalts have a
handle that is all yellow. The regular dewalts have a handle that is
half black. The half black has the metal gears and comonly the XRP
battery line. These things are heavy, BIG TIME, but they turn screws
till carpnal tunnel sets in then only 1 hour recharge.

Just to confuse you more, today we are migrating towards Lithium Ion
batteries. The dewalt XRP is NOT lithium ion. I bought the Bosch 10v
(any one of these: http://www.boschtools.com/Products/T....aspx?catid=63
)and cannot believe I waited so long for this. It does NOT have a
chuck for putting drillbits in; it does not turn fast at all (300rpm
max) but it drives 3" drywall screws till seemingly forever. It fits
in my back pocket and handles replacing electrical outlets to removing
rusted 3" screws. The lithium battery is fanstastic.

Many people say "cry ONCE over purchase price and avoid crying every
time you use a tool you bought for cheap."

HTH, Tom

On Sep 25, 8:56*am, "desgnr" wrote:
How does Harbor Freight tools rate compared to Home depot tools ?
I am currently looking for a coordless drill driver capable of driving a 3"
screw into a 2" x 4" stud.
Any recomendations appreciated.