Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Rolling your own soldering tip

Smitty Two wrote:

I have a perceived need to make my own custom soldering iron tip for a
moderately high volume rework job. Are these typically made of copper
and then plated with something? Does anyone who's done this have any
tips (no pun intended) for me?

I made about a dozen tips for the old Weller SP-23 irons. I used
scrap brass rods from the base's welding shop. I threaded the end, then
cut the tip off with a large pair of diagonal cutters. Then I filed it
to the proper shape. Finally, I used paste flux to tin them. That was
in 1973. I just used up the last tip a couple years ago.