Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.basics
Rich Grise Rich Grise is offline

Default Muddle over left/right channel of TRS plug

On Fri, 25 Sep 2009 00:19:39 +0100, Peter wrote:

I have a 3.5mm TRS plug which is prewired. It looks like this

http://www.mycablemart.com/store/ima...1085_large.jpg

The tip of that TRS plug is connected to the red wire (RIGHT
channel).

Has that been done correctly? I thought the tip of the TRS plug is
the LEFT channel.

(I also have a 3.5mm TRS socket which is prewired and the red wire is
also the tip.)

Does it matter? Can you tell "right" from "left" by ear? Lessee, strings
on the left, brass on the right, percussion in back...

Of course if it's wrong, just fire up the ol' soldering iron, and swap
them. Takes about four minutes.

Cheers!
Rich