Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Sivori Tony Sivori is offline

Default Harbor Freight vs. Home depot

desgnr wrote:

How does Harbor Freight tools rate compared to Home depot tools ? I am
currently looking for a coordless drill driver capable of driving a 3"
screw into a 2" x 4" stud.
Any recomendations appreciated.

I have a Harbor Freight corded Multi-tool (the Fein Multimaster knock off)
and a Harbor Freight 12" sliding compound miter saw.

The HF multi tool has served me well. But it is no clone of the Fein. The
HF tool runs at one speed, and that is an oscillations per minute rate
that approximately matches the low speed setting of the Fein. But for $35,
I am happy with it.

The compound saw was was also priced right, about $150. I am less happy
with it. Quality is noticeably low. I had to return the first one, due to
a clamp screw that was stripped right out of the box. It also had flaking
paint out of the box.

The dust collection is a joke. I've made quite a few cuts with the saw,
and there is no saw dust in the dust collection bag. It all hits the floor
(and me, and the saw).

Worst defect: the saw came with a fence that is out of square. When I put
a straight edge against the fence, one side is out of alignment with the
other by at least one millimeter.

That makes true precision cuts difficult if not impossible. Still, the saw
does cut well, had plenty of power, and the results are much better than I
can obtain with a had held Skil saw.

--
Tony Sivori