Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt Colbyt is offline

Default Removing tile

wrote in message
I have a house built in the 1950s with plaster walls. The kitchen has
yellow tile on the walls that extends from the countertop to the
bottom of the cabinets. The wife wants something different. The tile
guy says the old tile has to be removed before anything new can be put
up.

Any advice on how to do this without destroying more of the wall than
necessary?

Would something like this work?

I have used that tool to remove tile from a concrete floor. I would not use
it on a wall.

I use a prybar like
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=2529

and a hammer. The curved part is used as a chisel and when tapped with the
hammer pries the tile loose. If they are not soundly attached you can use
the other end and no hammer.

Be sure to wear leather gloves as the flying chips can be quite sharp. If
the plaster is otherwise sound you will only have to patch a few divots. The
surface does not have to be that smooth for new tile.

Now if you are real unlucky the stuff will be mudset, they still did that
some in the 50's, and you will have to remove all the plaster and a couple
of tons of mortar.

Colbyt