Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Removing tile

On Sep 25, 12:51*pm, " wrote:
I have a house built in the 1950s with plaster walls. The kitchen has
yellow tile on the walls that extends from the countertop to the
bottom of the cabinets. The wife wants something different. The tile
guy says the old tile has to be removed before anything new can be put
up.

Any advice on how to do this without destroying more of the wall than
necessary?

Would something like this work?http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=32940

I had no luck. The wallboard is the weakest part of the whole thing.
It's gets broken and gouged up.

Eventually I took down the top and base cabinets. Then ran a cicular
saw horizontally above and below the tile. Took out the wall board
with tile. Good thing is the cabinets cover most of the replacement
wallboard seam so I didn't have to do a great job there.