Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Extension ladder reach

aemeijers wrote:
Mike Paulsen wrote:
Christopher Nelson wrote:
I have two fairly short stories in a split level house. The highest
gutters are approximately 15' above ground level. I know the 4:1
rule for putting up an extension ladder but I'm not sure how much
of a 20' extension ladder is lost to the overlap. Is a 20' ladder
enough to reach eaves or do I need a 22'?

You can figure 3 feet of overlap between sections for the lengths
you're considering, so a 24' ladder will be 21'. If you want to get
on the roof, you'll want a ladder that reaches a couple of feet
higher than the roof line.

Your choices may be limited to 20' or 24' -- I don't recall seeing
any 22' extension ladders in stores.

And be aware- a 24' will make you feel puny carrying it and placing it
by yourself. I have a 24' 1a fiberglas, and it is heavy. And for a
heavy-duty ladder, it is still pretty bouncy at close to full
extension. Don't even think about aluminum that long, unless you are
under 150 pounds, with tools.

Nonsense. Aluminum is fine. What you don't want is a cheap aluminum ladder. The
heavier ones (Type 1A?) are plenty strong and stiff. My 32' Aluminum ladder is
getting kind of heavy for me to put up by myself these days, but it's plenty
secure when extended.

I have a light weight 20' ladder (Type III?) which is great for quick jobs when
not fully extended, but way floppy when near its limit.