Posted to alt.home.repair
Smitty Two Smitty Two is offline

Default Extension ladder reach

In article ,
aemeijers wrote:

And be aware- a 24' will make you feel puny carrying it and placing it
by yourself. I have a 24' 1a fiberglas, and it is heavy. And for a
heavy-duty ladder, it is still pretty bouncy at close to full extension.
Don't even think about aluminum that long, unless you are under 150
pounds, with tools. A buddy at work, skinny guy, bought an aluminum
20-foot, a name brand, and returned it after one use because he found it
too bouncy to work from.

I wish a had a 20', since this 24' is really more than I need for this
one story house. But at the time, the 24' was 60-some bucks cheaper at
Sam's, than the 20' was at Lowes or Menards...

--
aem sends...

Hmm, well, I bought a 24' aluminum ladder recently, and have been pretty
pleased with it. It's a bit springy at full extension but so what? The
wingtips of a 747 flex up and down about 10 feet and that doesn't worry
me either.

When I was a kid we hired the local house painter and he had the tallest
damn extension ladder I've ever seen. It must've been close to forty
feet. He'd scamper up that thing and paint as much as he could reach.
Then he'd grab the rails and throw his body weight away from the house
to release the top edges, and jerk it to one side about three or four
feet. A bit more painting, then do the same to the other side.