Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.basics

Default Muddle over left/right channel of TRS plug

In article ,
Peter wrote:
I have a 3.5mm TRS plug which is prewired. It looks like this

http://www.mycablemart.com/store/ima...1085_large.jpg

The tip of that TRS plug is connected to the red wire (RIGHT
channel).

Has that been done correctly? I thought the tip of the TRS plug is
the LEFT channel.

(I also have a 3.5mm TRS socket which is prewired and the red wire is
also the tip.)

The tip is normally left - as left is conventionally follows mono as
regards wiring convention.

As to colours, in the UK some pro stuff uses red and green as per the
naval convention - ie red (port) left, green (starboard) right. Whereas in
domestic stuff red is usually right. Just to add to the confusion.

--
*Speak softly and carry a cellular phone *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.