Posted to alt.home.repair
JIMMIE JIMMIE is offline

Default Potentially failing pressure regulator?

On Sep 24, 1:44*pm, bafenator wrote:
On Sep 24, 7:59*am, harry k wrote:

On Sep 24, 12:25*am, bafenator wrote:

I replaced the pressure regulator on my home a little over seven years
ago, and installed an expansion tank as well. *All has been well since
then.

About three weeks ago, I noticed that I was getting a LOT more flow
from faucets than I should be. *I put the pressure gauge on the line,
60PSI - just like I had set it when I installed the regulator.

Tonight, the flow from the faucet was even higher - so I put the
pressure gauge on again. *115PSI. *Wow. *I turned on the hot water to
see how low the pressure would go, expecting it to either drop
quickly, or stay even. *It did drop, but only over about a full minute
of use. *Then, it stayed right at 60PSI, like it should, even after
the water was shut off. *Since the gauge has a "maximum reached"
indicator, I left it on, I'll check what the peak pressure was in the
morning.

Thanks to the expansion tank, I haven't seen pressure raise like that
from the water heater. *And even if the expansion bladder had failed,
I would expect pressure to drop quickly when water was used. *Does
this sound like my pressure regulator is starting to go out on me? *If
so, I'd rather replace it proactively...

Ooops, forgot. *I can't explain why it took so long for the pressure
to drop. *I, too, would expect it to start down as soon as water was
drawn.

Harry K

YEah, I'll take it apart tonight. *The peak pressure reached overnight
was 132 PSI.- Hide quoted text -

132 PSI will probably blow your regulator. The normal big box store
regulator will not work in your case.

Jimmie