Posted to alt.home.repair

Default ? Repair old cast iron radiator ?

First time I replaced a thermostat on a car, I had a leak an
hour or so later. Find out that the proper stuff is the #2b
non hardening. The black stuff. Alcohol "dry gas" will get
it off your hands, but it's easier to wear doctor gloves.

The #1 rapid hardening is useless.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Henry" wrote in message

Hi, I have an old cast iron radiator that is leaking
between the sections. The joints are cone shaped, male
and female, but the sealing takes place at the base of
the cone which has a flat area about 1/4" wide. Two
5/8" threaded rods hold the 7 sections together. I've had
them apart four times and they still seep. First I used
permatex form a gasket by itself.