Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default How to tell if a saw blade is sharp?

-MIKE- wrote:
Ed Pawlowski wrote:
First blade is $9, ea additional is $1, but five blades is free shipping.

I sent a DeWalt blade from my miter saw that was in rough shape from
cutting laminate flooring and it came back better than when new.

I called a place here in town (where I bought my lathe) and their prices
are pretty much the same as that place.

Do I assume that the process is automated somehow and will have great
results?
Don't know.

Yes and no...like (almost) anything else, there's art behind the science
and skill besides simply bolting a blade to a sharpening mandrel.

Good places will true the blades before sharpening (where the most skill
is) and repair damaged teeth, etc., etc., ...

OTOH, a sorry place may well end the life of a blade permanently (or at
least w/o expensive retrofitting).

If I don't have specific knowledge via folks who've used a service that
I trust to know when they got a good result, I'll start w/ a blade I
won't care too much if it does come back in bad shape before I'll trust
them w/ the good stuff.

Ridge Carbide is one I've used as well that I will concur is
good--there's another closer to us in Tulsa I'd have to look up
specifically I use generally that's also excellent.

Forrest will sharpen/repair/retune other blades besides theirs as well.
About the same price as others for basic sharpening, but if you've got
a sweet blade, can't beat them for making it sing best tune it possibly
can if they work their full magic on it. It'll cost some extra
depending on what they do so I don't waste it on inexpensive blades that
aren't going to benefit...