Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
hillpc hillpc is offline

Default efficiency of +20 year old Weil-Mclain oil boiler P366(HE)?

How do you make hot water? *If it is the typical tankless coil, it is very
inefficient for that use. *Do you hear the boiler kicking on to keep the
water hot? *Terrible waste of energy. *Indirect fired water is far more
economical and a good tank can keep water hot for a couple of days if not
used. *It used to bug me to be laying in bed on a hot night and hear the
boiler kick on just to maintain temperature. *No more. *My basement is much
cooler now that heat is not wasted.

Yes, I have a tankless coil that dumps into an electric hot water
heater for temperature avergaing, in which the electric elements never
kick on. I assume that I'm saving money vs using the elctricity.
Even though electricity is close to 100% efficient in heating (no flue
gases), it's expensive.

I'll look into indirect if I change out my boiler, though I bought the
electric water heater only 4 or 5 years ago. Right now the only oil-
fired boiler good for the 30% tax credit in my size 100,000 BTU/h is
the Buderus condensing boiler. I'm looking for prices, but I'm
guessing these are very pricey. I can get a Weil-McLain at 86% or so
for about $2300, including a tankless coil (which I may not want now,
after reading your comment) and burner.