Posted to uk.d-i-y
george (dicegeorge) george (dicegeorge) is offline

Default insulate behind kitchen rayburn

polyisocyanurate? in kingspan?

Sounds more dangerous than asbestos.
[g]

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"george (dicegeorge)" writes:
Behind the kitchen rayburn is a one inch gap
then a double brick wall (no cavity).

I'm swapping it for a newer one,
so now is the time to insulate behind it.

3 inches of kingspan then plasterboard is one idea.

I wouldn't put polyisocyanurate close to a fire-based heat source.
Although most polyisocyanurate board has fire retardants added, it
still burns and gives off extremely nasty toxins when exposed to
flames, even when it has enough fire retardant to prevent it self-
sustaining a flame.

Indeed. We tried to burn scarp on a fire when building this house. Nasty
clouds of black smoke., never caught fire, but I wouldn't want to breath
it.

Its a case for asbestos really innit?

I'll get my coat