Posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.d-i-y
neverwas[_3_] neverwas[_3_] is offline

Default Linda Barker on Working Lunch

snip lots of good stuff

Hopefully the next bunch remove the ball-&-chain with a flag painted
on it so as to prevent it being questioned by peer pressure. BR should
hopefully be reduced to a set of end-results, since the present lot is
merely creating a lot of opportunity for rushed-to-market rubbish
products.

Sadly I very much doubt it. While some of them at least understand the
costs and benefits of regulation, the political reality is that little
would be heard from those (such as you) who would benefit from
deregulation and a lot would be heard from those with a vested interest
in screaming "danger! danger!". Add in the flak which would come
when[1] someone died as a result of a DIY'd job - with the Minister who
introduced the new legislation pressed to resign - and it just doesn't
look to me to be a proposition any Minister could buy.

I hope I'm wrong but I don't see any way out of the mess unless and
until we get an electorate which is better educated on such matters.
(So it looks to me a close call whether we'll get there before the sun
goes red giant.)

[1] I say "when" not "if" because there's bound to be one sooner or
later - just as there are people who die as a result of a bad
paid/licensed job.