George

Default two-inch thick stock for chair seats

Why pine? Splits fairly easily. Elm, or maybe yellow birch my choice.
Probably yellow birch because I have more of it, as should any specialty
supply.

FWIW, I've seen commercial glued exactly as you mention. With the joints
offset, makes up for some of the weakness of the pine. Now if only they
could overcome the mortise deformity that racking produces, the chair might
stay tight a bit longer.

"Phisherman" wrote in message
I just called my wood dealer, but he doesn't carry any 2" thick stock
lumber. I'm specifically looking for kiln-dried eastern white pine
(would settle for Popular or other soft wood) to make wooden chair
seats. What do other woodworkers do? Glue up sandwiched 1.5" stock
then surface plane?