Posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.d-i-y
Skeats Skeats is offline

Default Linda Barker on Working Lunch

"The Wanderer" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 13:03:00 +0100, Usenet Nutter wrote:

Talking ******** by telling people to stay away from Electrical work
or Plumbing work and get a pro in to do it . No ifs or buts ..Just do
not do it and of course,nobody there to contradict her.

Yebbut.....

Some of the questions I've seen in uk.d-i-y over the yaers have shown very
clearly that the poster hasn't got a clue what he (or she) is taking
about.
In those circumstances they *shouldn't* be tackling that sort of work.

OTOH, why get so uptight about such comments? Will it stop *you* (or any
of
the other seasoned DIYers) from going ahead? There's no need to answer the
question - I know the answer.

--
The Wanderer

Wine Improves with age. The older I get the better it tastes!

It's not a case for getting a so called "professional" but getting a
properly qualified one. Bodged work leads to higher charges later for
repair.

Now "By law, only registered engineers should carry out gas work in people's
properties.

This register is overseen by the Gas Safe Register, a safety body that
replaced Corgi in April 2009"

New laws on electrical work were brought in in 2005 I think. See
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4048371.stm
i.e. "DIY-ers are to be hit by new laws set to come into force in January to
combat unsafe electrical work. From next year "significant" electrical work
will have to be carried out by a qualified and registered electrician, the
government has confirmed. If householders decide to do the work themselves,
it will have to be checked by local authority building inspectors. "

Linda Barker may have been advertising NICEIC Group? "the electrical
contracting industry's independent voluntary body for electrical
installation matters throughout the UK."
Not ******** by a long way.

I have a friend who, with her two children, ended up in hospital when her
husband "mended" her boiler. Carbon monoxide poisoning.

M.