Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Upscale Upscale is offline

Default Garden Benches (1/1)

"jloomis" wrote in message
I do like those. Very sturdy also.
I see screws in the bottom strengthening board and wondered if you

knowtched
it in or how you attached to the side legs.

Through tenons on the legs were made the normal way with a dado blade. The
sneaky part about the construction (or perhaps it could be called the lazy
method on my part) is that the feet on the benches and the table are made up
of 2" thick cedar boards with facing half laps cuts in each. When glued with
Titebond III and screwed together with deck screws they form mortises.

I don't yet have he skill with normal mortising tools to cut good stopped
mortises. And to be truthful, it's outdoor furniture that needs less
refinement than the indoor version. I was just looking to build them fast
and efficiently.

Swingman would cut mortises. I cut half laps. I still have much to learn
master.