George

Default Sanding would have saved a gorgeous piece of oak...

Could have used a cabinet scraper, y'know.

Though the lessons learned with pain tend to be the best-remembered.

"Bay Area Dave" wrote in message
om...
I kept trying to remove about two square inches of tear-out in an oak
board with the nicest grain I had left in the shop. the sucker is about
29 x 4 x 3/4". It is for my last drawer front on my desk. I ran it
through the thickness planer hoping that would remove the tearout. The
board got thinner but never smooth. I decided to just keep going to see
if I ran it through a few more times, taking light cuts if it would come
out nice. No way. So now the board is too thin (don't worry folks, I
KNEW it was gonna be too thin; I'm in experimenting stage at this point)
so I decided to see if sanding would remove the pits. Sure enough, the
ROS, followed by 1/4" pad sander, made it purdy.