Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Desk pedestal joinery choices...

Yeah, shallow rabbets and dados just to keep things aligned. Keep in
mind 1/2" is pretty thin. 3/4" would be bullet proof but 1/2" "might"
bow, etc. Plus I suppose you will glue and either nail or screw from
the outside and again, 3/4 would be better. Pocket screws won't work
in 1/2 material, they are designed for 3/4 + but if you went 3/4 you
could use them on the front interior to hold the face frames from
inside. This is especially OK if it is drawers where they won't ever
be seen.

The other option to stiffen up the joints if you do go 1/2" would be
glue blocks in the interior. Maybe rip some 1x1 into a like a
triangular molding and glue and nail in to the seams inside.

On Sep 23, 9:08*pm, DJ Delorie wrote:
I'm designing a new desk for myself, with modular units for the
"pedestals". Each side of the desk will have one or more of these of
various widths. Each is a separate box (sides, back, bottom) made from
1/2in plywood with hardwood fronts (face frame, drawer front,
whatever, not shown in photo). I'm wondering... what would be the best
joinery to use to assemble the plywood box part - rabbet+glue?
biscuits? lock miter? pocket screws? something else? a combination of
the above?

Photo, details, and sketchup file:http://www.delorie.com/wood/desk/module..html