Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bruce L. Bergman[_2_] Bruce L. Bergman[_2_] is offline

Default Interesting traffic citation racket

On Mon, 21 Sep 2009 13:51:36 -0500, Ignoramus26236

On 2009-09-21, rangerssuck wrote:
Here's another one: My 20 year old niece was driving in the rain.
Truck in front of her was doing 55 (speed limit was 65). Cop was
behind her. She changed into the left lane to pass the truck. Cop
changed lanes as well. It starts raining really hard, so she slowed to
60. Cop pulls her over and writes a ticket for "obstructing traffic."
She tells him that visibility was really bad because of the heavy
rain. He says, "If you can't do the speed limit, stay out of the left
lane." Then, my brother calls the cops, and they offer him pretty much
the same deal Iggy got.

Now, my brother's something of a wimp about such things. Had it been
me, I would have had newspaper reporters at the trial.

Well, in my case, I clearly was in violation, so I do not object to
the original ticket. What I felt was a little disconcerting, was the
fact that they were willing to not report my violation in exchange for
more $$$.

In the case of "driving school", there is at least some fig leaf, but
here, it is just "we will not report your crime if you give us money".

Mind you, I actually prefer this outcome to having my ticket reported,
but I think that it is a corrupt policy.

Iggy: You live in Chicagoland, right? Ex post facto, it's well
known as Corruption Central - Home of "Vote early and often." If
you'd slipped $100 cash to the patrolman under your license, the
response would be "Have a nice day, you may go now..."

(Try that in California and the cop is hooking you up Right Now.)

Folks, remember that most Windows Mobile devices will act as a really
nice "wire" and will record audio as long as you have free memory. Set
the recording bitrate and sensitivity and learn how to put it into
Record now, before you are under duress.

For a Palm Treo, you assign the option button on the side to "Notes"
and then all you have to do is press the little Record red ball.
11,025 Khz mono should be plenty

Let's see, divide 11 kb/s into 2GB gets you...

If you have a way to prove this shakedown to a Judge (like, say a
nice clear recording of a cop asking for a bribe...) you call the
State AG or the FBI and start kicking butt and taking names. Suborning
a bribe, falsification of official records, tax evasion ...
(You don't honestly think he's going to list bribe money on his
taxes, do you?)

-- Bruce --