Posted to uk.d-i-y
Peter Andrews Peter Andrews is offline

Default telephone cable

"Stephen" wrote in message
Hello,

I notice that a lot of "telephone extension kits" as seen in the
shops, are supplied with flat cable. Does this mean the pairs are not
twisted? And if so, are there any implications to this?

I've just bought some own-brand telephone cable from CPC. It is the
white round cable with twisted pairs inside. Following the advice on
the earlier thread, I bought the 2-pair, 4-conductor cable. I notice
there is a lot of space inside the white insulation. Is it supposed to
be like this or is it because I bought a cheap brand? Does the
manufacturer use the same outer insulation for the 3-pair and 4-pair
cables and is this why there is space in my reel because these "extra"
pairs are missing?

Thanks.

If the pairs aren't twisted it can upset your ADSL signal, but of course the
extension kits work fine for the audio telephone service.

Telephone cable isn't normally that tight in it's outer, don't know why
though!

Peter