Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Robert Macy Robert Macy is offline

Default Cleaning soldering iron tips?

On Sep 22, 8:21*pm, "larry moe 'n curly"
wrote:
Is there any reason why I shouldn't clean iron-plated hot soldering
iron tips by poking them into this curly stainless steel ribbon
material (3M Scotchbrite stainless steel scouring pad):

* *http://tinyurl.com/n48keq

instead of poking them into similar curly ribbon material made of
brass (Hakko soldering iron company's cleaner):

* *http://tinyurl.com/nf7clh

Does the stainless steel eat through the iron plating?

I still have an Ungar soldering iron with its original tip IN TACT!
purchased and placed into constant service starting in 1961.

I have no idea what Ungar did to make that gold plated tip so good,
but I always used their "dip into this" cleaner. That tip has always
kept 'wet' and performs better than the new tools.

I wish I could find a smaller tip version now.

Robert