Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Who fixes transistor Transoceanics?

On Tue, 22 Sep 2009 23:58:25 -0700 (PDT), hershey
wrote:

USA

That's nice, but totally useless unless you enjoy travelling or
shipping cross country. See:
http://radioattic.com/resources.htm
for a list of antique radio repair people. I was rather hoping that
you might do some reading on what's involved in a repair, so that you
might either attempt it yourself, or know what to ask. Oh well.

Since you can hear audio, just walking an oscilloscope down the audio
chain should identify the section that's causing the distortion. I
would offer to fix it for you, but I don't think I could resist the
temptation to buy (or steal) it from you. Sorry(tm).

Incidentally, required reading for Zenith Transoceanic owners:
http://www.amazon.com/Zenith-Trans-Oceanic-John-H-Bryant/dp/0764328387

You might find the asking price rather interesting:
http://www.goantiques.com/detail,zenith-transoceanic-radio,1471722.html

When a was a pre-teen brat, trying to grow up in Smog Angeles, we had
a gigantic Grundig console short wave radio. I would stay up far past
my bedtime, listening to 99% noise and 1% weak and garbled shortwave
stations. Unfortunately, there was no earphone jack, so nobody got
any sleep when I was listening. Moving the Grundig into the garage
was not an option, so a used Zenith Transoceanic T600 magically
appeared. It was no better at hearing SW DX, but had the advantage of
being portable. I spent many a fond evening playing SWL freezing in
the garage with the Transoceanic. It was also my first real repair
job, after I removed all the tubes for testing in the drug store tube
tester, and managed to mix them up when I plugged them back in.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D