Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Rich Webb Rich Webb is offline

Default Cleaning soldering iron tips?

On Wed, 23 Sep 2009 14:20:10 +0100, lid
(Adrian Tuddenham) wrote:

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article
,
larry moe 'n curly wrote:
Is there any reason why I shouldn't clean iron-plated hot soldering
iron tips by poking them into this curly stainless steel ribbon
material (3M Scotchbrite stainless steel scouring pad):

http://tinyurl.com/n48keq

instead of poking them into similar curly ribbon material made of
brass (Hakko soldering iron company's cleaner):

http://tinyurl.com/nf7clh

Does the stainless steel eat through the iron plating?

I'd be worried it would. A thick chunk of leather makes a good wiping pad.

A suede shoe brush is the best thing I have found. Mine cost about a
pound at the local hardware shop.

Or an old cotton rag from, say, a torn t-shirt. Doesn't even need to be
damp since a few scorch marks do not hurt it at all. Scrap of old denim
or cotton twill would do as well.

That said, I do pair the rag with one of those little weighted-base pots
full of brass turnings. Easier for one-handed use.

--
Rich Webb Norfolk, VA