Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] john@jjdesigns.fsnet.co.uk is offline

Default DIY DG demist

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
jj has brought this to us :
Noticed that there's a new way of de-fogging double glazing without replacing
the glass. According to the details ;

Two holes are drilled, top and bottom, in the glass. Cleaning and demisting
fluid is injected into the hole and afterwards a one-way valve fitted.

I posted a method in this ng which I had come across quite some time
ago. Like your method, it involved drilling holes in two opposite
corners, but working on the assumption that the dg was just suffering
condensation from moisture leaking in - I would guess that would be the
usual case anyway.

You drill holes in two opposite corners, a good fit for plastic tube as
used for a fish tank air pump, then use a fish tank pump to circulate
air in and back out of the dg. The dg panel has to be warm and the idea
is to condense the moisture somewhere along the loop of tube and be
able to drain the accumulated water.

A coil of the pipe could be made to pass through some iced water or be
made to pass through a fridge, to act as a condenser. Once moisture
stops condensing, the panel is dry, but it can take 24 hours of pumping
to achieve it.

If the pump only has one port to which a pipe can be attached, then put
the pump in a gaffa tape sealed biscuit tin and make a second port, so
it draws its air in via the botched inlet port.

Once it's dry, you remove the air inlet pipe, with the pump running,
then quickly seal it with silicon, so it is drawn due to vacuum, squirt
a good dollop around the outlet pipe and pull that out as the silicon
is pushed into the hole to seal that end.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

The drying bit looks decidedly heroic!.
On my misty DG unit, I'm thinking it's easier just to percolate
through a bag of silica gel dessicant.