Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mark[_30_] Mark[_30_] is offline

Default Fridge Temperature

On Tue, 22 Sep 2009 16:44:28 -0700 (PDT), "js.b1"
wrote:

Some fridges can be quite marginal...
- Some require the bottom "vegetable & debris bucket" to be in place
and a shelf set correctly
- Others do not like working unless there is something in there to
cool

The only way to really know fridge temperature is a glass of water &
thermometer.
It should really be no more than 7oC and the ideal is around 5oC
(although certain foods have more specific requirements like cheese,
lettuce, and so on).

Critical maintenance is preventing the rear fridge cool plate from
icing up - on some slimline Inde**** this basically makes the fridge
temperature climb inexorably away from safe levels. Common failure
modes of fridge freezer is for the thermostat to fail - in some cases
jamming on (usually noticed by £120+ increase in electricity bill and
paint burnt off a very rust-orange compressor).

Common failure modes of frost free fridge/freezers is the defroster
fails and the fridge temperature rises.

I might be the odd one out, but I think all fridge/freezer
manufacturers *should* be forced to provide LED temperature displays
for both. I suspect they have not purely because many products are
actually quite marginal with either minor ice build up (and never mind
the fun of frost free). Alarms could be an lucrative optional plug-in
extra like a card, SMT piezo & bit of logic - like a big SD. Can not
understand Bosch putting the green/red lights behind the door seal so
you can't see them without opening the door. Genius. They do have a
dial thermostat in the door which has ambiguous markings.

My Liebherr also has all the controls and lights hidden behind the
door. Unless your fridge has a fan then there is likely to be a
temperature gradient in your fridge. i.e. it is cooler at the bottom
than at the top.
--
(\__/) M.
[Reply-to address valid until it is spammed.]