Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default Framing basement: metal headers and plate, with wood studs?

Bryan Scholtes wrote:
I am framing my basement, and love the idea of building a metal-stud
wall in place. It seems very convenient to just attach metal top
(header) and bottom (plate) studs and then cut the vertical studs to
fit inside them.

However, I also like to hang heavy things on my wall, and I don't like
the added cost of metal-specific electrical boxes. For this reason I'd
prefer wood vertical studs.

Is it possible (or code) to use metal for the top and bottom, and
attach wood vertical studs to them?

Hi,
Tight fit framed wall is not a good idea.
Make it sort of float.