Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Michael Koblic Michael Koblic is offline

Default Those wretched cross-holes

Wes wrote:
"Michael Koblic" wrote:

What is it about drilling cross holes in small parts that causes
these things to happen?

How cheap are your drills? I tend to use PTD most of the time,

My other thought, are you using 'mystery metal' ?

Cheap. But I thought even a cheap drill should last one hole - this was a
new drill! However, you may have a point: I have stub drills bought from KBC
Tools which I keep for the use with my Taig lathe. Nothing fancy, 118
degrees points. Cut way better than the Canadian Tire drills.

The metal should have been mild steel but I am beginning to wonder...I shall
re-run the procedure with a certified mild steel and a stub drill as Winston
suggested. I did peck and push...

--
Michael Koblic
Campbell River, BC