Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Walters Tim Walters is offline

Default Ancient Smiths timer for outside lights

"NT" wrote in message
On Sep 22, 6:24 pm, "Tim Walters" wrote:
"NT" wrote in message
On Sep 21, 5:57 pm, "Tim Walters" wrote:
"NT" wrote in message

80s smiths timer...

http://www.eurotrad-traductores.net/P1010116.JPG

http://www.eurotrad-traductores.net/P1010117.JPG

http://www.eurotrad-traductores.net/P1010118.JPG

Looks like those resistors form part of a rectifier and reservoir cap
supply, and excess current has flown causing them to fry open circuit.
So you need to fix the problem and replace the Rs, preferably with
slightly higher power rated ones. Or maybe there's no other circuit
problem, only inadequately specced Rs. Going to be fun working out
what value they should be.

I've never soldered anything before but I'll give it a try. I'll let you
know how I get on.

Thanks a lot for all your help. Much appreciated.

Tim

First you'll need to practice for an afternoon first, soldering is a
skill. Secondly those will most likely be soldered in using HMP
solder, for which HMP solder and an HMP iron is needed. If you don't
want to go the hmp route, follow the tracks on the PCB and solder to
another pad further along with ordinary lead solder (electronics, not
plumbers) and connect to your Rs using some other type of connection.

But you need to work out what value resistors you need first.

Very strange. I took the timer to an electronics store and the guy behind
the counter tested all the components and says they're ok. (He knows zilch
about timers but a lot about circuit boards.)

So, we've got a timer apparently in working order, and outside lights that
work, but when you try to programme the thing, the lights stay on all the
time.

What now?

so the fault in the timer isnt the resistors, its something else. Time
to get your fault finding skills out. One option is to replace the
triac, but theres no gtee that'll fix it.

Fault finding skills? I barely know how to spell that.

I've looked up triac on wikipedia, so I know vaguely what it does, but I'm
not sure what it looks like. The pictures given don't help much. Where
exactly is the triac in the timer pix I posted?