Posted to alt.home.repair
Smarty Smarty is offline

Default Very slippery marble floor

wrote in message
Smarty wrote:
I have a very slippery marble floor which is dangerous to walk on. I
nearly slipped several times and my wife actually did slip and fall.

Is there any easy method to make this surface have more friction without
damaging the appearance or the surface itself?

Thanks for any suggestions.

There might be a finish (sealer) that makes the floor too slippery. If
possible, contact the installer or prior owner for info. If that isn't a
solution, there may be a sealer which makes it less slippery. It would
help to have more info - extremely slippery when floor is dry? You are
wearing shoes or just stockings? It sounds very dangerous, and the
solution may be in covering or replacing it. Can the floor be repolished
to a less glossy finish?

We have terrazzo in our kitchen, which I love. Only problem is that if
there is a wet spot, even from dropping a little piece of ice, the melt
will make it extremely slippery.

Thank to all for the replies. I am dealing with a dry floor made of marble
tiles (12 inch by 12 inch) which is extremely slippery in stockings,
somewhat slippery in leather-soled shoes, and not really dangerous if rubber
soles or bare -feet are involved. It is in a residential foyer / entrance
which is a heavily-trafficked path from one end of a home to another, and
does, on occasional, also get wet, making the problem even worse.
Fortunately the wet surface only occurs when outside visitors bring rain or
melted snow into the foyer on their shoes or boots, which is something quite
easy to control with carpet, mats, and other methods at the exterior entry
door.

There are many products sold commercially and on the Internet which promise
high friction / high traction non-skid surfaces, some of which have their
own issues when used on marble.

I am mostly looking for anybody who has some experience with this type of
approach, since adding carpet runners, non-skid tape, gritty patches, and
all the things which may be considered in a public bathing area, for
example, would look entirely inappropriate in this entry foyer.

Sorry I was not more specific to begin with, and thanks again for any
suggestions.