Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected][_2_] norminn@earthlink.net[_2_] is offline

Default Contractor Didn't Finish Work

wrote:
I had a one-man company do repair work on my house. We have a contract
saying what he will do and for how much. When his workers said they
finished, he and I looked and agreed orally that they didn't finish.
We also agreed orally that they broke something. He said he would
finish and fix everything. I paid him all but $350. I didn't hear
back for two weeks. I called once a week for the next three weeks and
left voice mails. I still didn't hear back. The contract does not
have a time limit. I can finish the work and fix the broken thing
myself for a tenth of $350.
What do you think I should do?

What work did he do? What did he break? You have a written contract?
I would write a letter, certified mail, polite and business-like. State
the work agreed to, the work not done, nature and value of the damage.
State that you have agreed orally that the job was not finished and that
you have tried to contact him again x number of times. Ask whether and
when he intends to complete the work. A certified letter should get his
attention and indicate that it is a serious matter.

There is a good deal of stuff that might explain his failure to complete
the job - could be sick, family problems, got stiffed by other client(s)
and can't afford to buy materials, and on and on. If he still fails to
respond, you can always file a complaint against his license (assuming
he has one, all required permits and code compliant, etc.)

Everything was satisfactory before he stopped work?