Posted to alt.home.repair
JIMMIE JIMMIE is offline

Default Framing basement: metal headers and plate, with wood studs?

On Sep 22, 12:52*pm, Bryan Scholtes wrote:
I would suggest you either go all wood or all steel. *The main
benefits of steel framing; straighter members, bug & rot free (but
they can rust) & more price stablity than timber. But with prices down
on timber I really don't the advantage since timber framing is quite a
bit easier for most of us. *Stud too long, skilsaw or chop saw.
Nailed framing is faster & easier than screwed together framing.

I suppose I am trying to avoid the hassle of building a wall on the
floor, then hoisting it up, and installing a header and/or shimming.

Is there less labor in that than I am assuming?

It seems nice to be able to throw up some metal top & bottom and cut
studs to fit. Am I "smoking the weed"?

You dont have to have one or the other. Nail the wood sole plate in
place then put a metal plate on top of it. Solves the problem of
fastening wood plate to metal studs, keeps the metal off the possibly
damp concrete floor.

Jimmie

Jimmie