Posted to alt.home.repair
Mike rock Mike rock is offline

Default Framing basement: metal headers and plate, with wood studs?

On Sep 22, 9:30*am, Bryan Scholtes wrote:
I am framing my basement, and love the idea of building a metal-stud
wall in place. It seems very convenient to just attach metal top
(header) and bottom (plate) studs and then cut the vertical studs to
fit inside them.

However, I also like to hang heavy things on my wall, and I don't like
the added cost of metal-specific electrical boxes. For this reason I'd
prefer wood vertical studs.

Is it possible (or code) to use metal for the top and bottom, and
attach wood vertical studs to them?

I did that in my basement a few years back in my previous house. It
worked well. However looking back, the only thing I did not think
about is the bottom plate could rust if the basement is damp. I would
at least use a pressure treated plate on the bottom.
Metal studs are nice, but not as sturdy as wood studs. Also if you
wood studs, you could put any kind of wood paneling on the wall. With
metal studs you are limited to sheetrock.