Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rick Hughes Rick Hughes is offline

Default bench grinders

"Stephen" wrote in message
Hello,

I'm looking to get a bench grinder to sharpen some chisels. I see some
have discs six inches wide, others are eight inches; is one any better
than the other?

Is there anything else to look for? Should the power be a certain
number of Watts for example?

I see most grinders have two discs: a coarse and a fine one but a few
are wet and dry. Is there any advantage to a wet and dry one, and if
so, why aren't they more prevalent? Why is the wet disc always at
right angles to the body?

Thanks,
Stephen.

If its wood chisels .. then just use an oil stone (or diamond if you have
money to burn) ... a grinder will be too fast & too coarse, and probably
take temper out of chisel as well.

I bought a record plane & chisel guide for use on oilstones ... at least 25
years ago ... stills works perfect.