Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Weston John Weston is offline

Default bench grinders

In article , "Stephen"
wrote:

Hello,

I'm looking to get a bench grinder to sharpen some chisels. I see some
have discs six inches wide, others are eight inches; is one any better
than the other?

By wide I assume you mean diameter? It's easier to use larger diameter
wheels on most materials - but that may have been because the large ones
were used professionally so were always well dressed. (I must get round
to doing mine...)

Is there anything else to look for? Should the power be a certain
number of Watts for example?

Not usually a problem unless you intend to grind thick stock.

I see most grinders have two discs: a coarse and a fine one but a few
are wet and dry. Is there any advantage to a wet and dry one, and if
so, why aren't they more prevalent? Why is the wet disc always at
right angles to the body?

Yes, for chisels and other hardened and tempered tools a slow, wet wheel
is practically mandatory as you'll probably draw the temper using a
fast, dry wheel, ruining the item being ground.

The wet wheel is usually at right angles to the high speed shaft to
accommodate the gearing slowing it down considerably from the dry wheel
speed, connected directly to the motor shaft.

Thanks,
Stephen.

--
John W
I you really want to mail me, replace the obvious with co.uk twice