Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jon Fairbairn Jon Fairbairn is offline

Default "ceiling" pull switch for exterior use?

"neverwas" writes:

Maybe you could site the switch inside, perhaps using a pulley wheel
above the soffit.

Thanks for that. It fits with where I'd got to so far which is to (try
to) fit the switch from the loft, in the space above the soffit, with
the cord running through a small plastic tube to serve as a grommet.

Or build the switch inside a suitable external enclosure. Plenty of
those!

I'd wondered about that but was unsure about the entry point for the
cord. If the cord runs freely through the grommet then the enclosure
probably isn't watertight; if the cord is snug in the grommet the switch
might not spring back.........which I guess may be why exterior rated
pull switches aren't common.

What I'd try would be an axle through the side of the box with a lever
pulled by a cord on the outside operating another lever on the inside.

--
Jón Fairbairn
http://www.chaos.org.uk/~jf/Stuff-I-dont-want.html (updated 2009-01-31)