Posted to misc.legal,alt.home.repair
benick[_2_] benick[_2_] is offline

Default Contractor Didn't Finish Work

"SteveB" wrote in message

wrote in message
I had a one-man company do repair work on my house. We have a contract
saying what he will do and for how much. When his workers said they
finished, he and I looked and agreed orally that they didn't finish.
We also agreed orally that they broke something. He said he would
finish and fix everything. I paid him all but $350. I didn't hear
back for two weeks. I called once a week for the next three weeks and
left voice mails. I still didn't hear back. The contract does not
have a time limit. I can finish the work and fix the broken thing
myself for a tenth of $350.
What do you think I should do?

Finish the work yourself. If he calls, tell him you had to hire someone
else to finish his work, paid the man the $350, and if he has a question
with it, you would be happy to accompany him to the Contractor's board and
discuss the issue (and the money due to you from his surety bond) with
them. I guarantee if you don't call him, you'll never hear from him again,
and if you do, and tell him you will do whatever the Contractor's Board
tells you to do, you will never hear from him again.

He IS licensed, isn't he? In some states, contracting without a license
is a FELONY, and even offering to do work and no work being done or no
money changing hands constitutes contracting. (Nevada for one.)

Good luck. You've waited a "reasonable" amount of time, and made
"reasonable" efforts to contact him.

Steve

" I can finish the work and fix the broken thing myself for a tenth of
$350."

So I guess we are talking about a 35 dollar fix....What exactly are you
talking about ??? Touching up paint ?? What got broke ??? I doubt he would
walk away from 350 bucks for such an easy fix without a reason...Perhaps you
could enlighten us with just a few more details....